Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Losing Touch

Today I finally emailed my undergraduate advisor, whom I hadn't talked to directly since graduation last spring.

The entire process of moving to Kentucky was so frantic, almost, that I kept thinking of reasons why it would be awkward to write rather than how awkward it was to not talk to someone I had been used to having at a minimum weekly discussions with throughout my undergraduate career. My mentor and my honors project supervisor, who read the strangest of my essays and the most explicit of my poems and didn't think less of me.

It seems like people who are separated by a change in living circumstances always wait for specific events to bring them back into interaction again. I had planned on writing Christmas letters, sending cards.

But I'm planning a wedding and had no spare time at the end of the past semester for card-writing.

Today I wrote an email. I hope I get a chance to write more, without reason other than the joy of communicating with someone who really understands me.

No comments: