Monday, January 28, 2008

Bloglines/RSS Feeds

This morning I set up my first RSS reader account with Bloglines, and so far, so good.

Setting it up wasn't really a problem. I already have quite a hefty collection of links that I faithfully check every day, and having them consolidated into a single place to check, which I can look at from anywhere, is a nice feature. Like the del.icio.us exercise I did for one of my library school classes, but without all the excess clicking. It's definitely more personal, less like an open-source bibliography, but that's one of the advantages.

You can be completely idiosyncratic in the organization of your Bloglines account. And no one has to know exactly how many webcomics and snarky blogs you're a faithful reader of.

Yet I haven't quite decided if the application is merely useful or a bit on the lazy side. I mean, of course I selected the option to show the entire article for the blogs I read faithfully rather than summaries...but now I feel like I have no reason to go to that blog.

For instance, my recent discovery of Wedding Bee, which not only encompasses blogs but also wedding planning discussion boards as well as classified ads for wedding-related materials. I use the discussion boards almost more than the actual blog posts, so having everything in a feed isn't as useful as actually going to the website, at least when I'm going to be at home on my own machine anyway.

Overall, I think it might be nice to eliminate some of my fluffy links that are purely pleasure reading and replace them with a single link to my consolidated Bloglines account, but there are still always going to be websites I'd rather look at in their entirety.

1 comment:

Stacey Greenwell said...

Ashley, glad you liked the Bloglines assignment. I too subscribe to a number of snarky blogs and Bloglines is a handy place to keep up with them. I found it really useful to create a number of folders for all my subscriptions.